This is a delicious, vegetable-rich stew that can easily be made vegetarian or vegan. It’s been a staple in my house for years. If you want a little kick in yours, sauté a jalapeño with the onions and garlic, or add some hot sauce at the end.
- 2½ cups frozen corn
- 4 frozen vegetable or chicken stock cubes (about ½ cup of stock)
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes with liquid
- small sweet potato (½ pound), peeled and chopped in bite-size pieces
- 1¼ cups chopped carrots
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3 cups water
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 onions, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped roasted red pepper (I get mine from a jar)
- 2 cups cooked beans with cooking liquid (I used pinto and black)
- olive oil
- salt to taste
- Saute the onions and garlic in a little olive oil until clear.
- Put onions, garlic, and all other ingredients in slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 4 hours.
- Serve topped with diced avocados, chopped tomatoes, shredded cheddar and/or plain yogurt.