After my success in baking moccachocarula muffins a couple weeks back (muffins flavored with chocolate, coffee and the South Africa cream liqueur Amarula), I decided to make another batch. But this time I wanted:
- To go for a more cupcake-like texture
- To use up some of the chocolate whey protein powder that’s been sitting in my pantry untouched for eons
Inspired by the protein powder, I developed a recipe that was overall higher in protein than your typical muffin by also including chickpea flour (in addition to whole wheat), eggs, and yogurt as ingredients.
The final product does not taste like health food! It has a lovely, light texture and was scrumptious, if inexplicably shiny. (Well, inexplicable by me. I’m sure a chemist could explain it.)
If you don’t have protein powder, replace the 1/4 cup in the recipe with 3 tablespoons of a flour of your choice, a teaspoon of sweetener, and two teaspoons cocoa powder.
- measuring cups and spoons
- 2 mixing bowls
- mixing spoon or electric mixer
- muffin tin with 12 2½-inch cups
- cooling rack
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- ½ garbanzo bean (chickpea) flour
- ¼ chocolate whey protein powder
- ½ cup Dutch-process unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons sugar or xylitol
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 3 teaspoon instant coffee powder or coffee substitute (such as Cafix)
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 3 Tablespoons + 1 teaspoon Amarula
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 Tablespoons oil
- 1/2 cup chopped bittersweet baking chocolate or chocolate chips
- Mix sweetener and flax with wet ingredients (pumpkin, applesauce, oil, vanilla, Amarula, yogurts, egg) together.
- Mix together flours, cocoa, whey powder, coffee powder, baking soda, and baking powder. Mix in an optional ½ teaspoon salt, then gradually stir in the wet ingredients. Batter should be somewhat lumpy.
- Stir in chocolate pieces.
- Spoon batter into muffin tin.
- Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes, or until the tops are firm and inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on racks before eating.