Since the last muffins I made with whey protein powder turned out not only tolerable, but yummy, I thought I’d try baking with it again. This time I made fancy-schmancy chocolate muffins with dried red plums soaked in black cherry booze.
They were scrumptious!
If you don’t have protein powder, replace the 1/2 cup in the recipe with 1/4 cup tablespoons + 1 tablespoon of a flour of your choice, two tablespoons sugar or xylitol, and two tablespoons cocoa powder.
- measuring cups and spoons
- 2 mixing bowls
- mixing spoon or electric mixer
- muffin tin with 12 2½-inch cups
- cooling rack
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- ½ garbanzo bean (chickpea) flour or almond flour
- ½ chocolate whey protein powder
- ¼ cup Dutch-process unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 2/3 cup plain yogurt
- 2/3 cup applesauce
- ½ cup + 3 Tablespoons black cherry liqueur, cherry schnapps, or cherry brandy
- ½ cup dried fruit, preferably something tart like cranberries, red plums or sour cherries
- 3 Tablespoons oil
- 1/2 cup chopped bittersweet baking chocolate or chocolate chips (optional)
- Heat 1/2 cup of the cherry liqueur in a small saucepan. Add the dried fruit and simmer for two minutes, then let rest until cool and most of the alcohol is absorbed.
- Mix sweetener and flax with applesauce, oil, remaining liqueur, and yogurt.
- Mix together flours, cocoa, whey powder, baking soda, and salt. Gradually stir in the wet ingredients. Batter should be somewhat lumpy.
- Stir in cherries and chocolate pieces.
- Spoon batter into muffin tin.
- Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes, or until the tops are firm and inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool on racks before eating.